Saturday, February 28, 2009

Snowmen x3

What would winter be without snowmen? The beauty of our snowmen this year was they were each individually and uniquely crafted from the minds of my children. I think I've said before that my kids are all different, they have their own personalities...and their snowmen were a pretty cool reflection of that.

The true beauty this year was that my suggestions, my assistance, my visions were not a necessity. As fun as it is to create a snowman....I simply stood there happily watching. This was probably much better for the kids, as I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist. Really, it is just a snowman....it doesn't have to have symmetrical eyes and evenly spaced buttons (as much as I would like them to). My job was to lift the appropriate body parts when directed, and act like the gopher when my sculptors needed more supplies.

So did I ever mention that before? The part about me being a bit of a perfectionist?

I am. Just a wee bit.

Not that you would notice by looking at my house, my car, my appearance. I don't have an insanely clean house, or perfect grooming for myself and my kids. But look at my work, my accounting skills, my record keeping...and you might recognize that I am. I think I've always used it as a way to overcompensate for my utter lack of creativity and unfortunate inability to draw, sing, act or do any of those cool talents you see on reality t.v. these days. I'm organized and accurate instead. I like things right, I like them correct...I don't like to just squeak by, I don't like excuses. I can be crafty, don't get me wrong...but it's a lot of work for me to be crafty. Maybe this is why I buy two of everything...just so I have a backup when I mess the first one up.

Had I been in control of snowmen this day, we would have stayed outside way too long. The kids would have gotten cold and whiny because my lack of creativity would force me to take far to long grooming the masterpiece into an even, symmetrical, almost perfect and probably pretty boring snowman...

So a big thank you to my kiddos. Your independence and eagerness to create your OWN snowmen gave me the opportunity to simply enjoy our afternoon in the snow. No tears, no fighting with each other, no stress for Mom over whether the arms were equidistant from the ground on both the left and the right.... just a great chance to watch and observe your individuality and creativity that I admire so much!

Macy and her three snowball snowman.

Maya and her head-only snowman.

Nolan and his two-snowball snowman.Then he finds a puddle. Think spring!!!!

No comments: