It's a bit of a blur at this point, the chaos of end-of-the-school-year events followed by a trip to Disney made June fly by in record time!
As busy as it was, it was a FUN month so I just wanted to post a couple pictures of the highlights.
Maya turned six! One of the milestones of turning six in our house is the option to get your ears pierced. She had been a bit wishy-washy and wouldn't give me a commitment either way...which was fine by me. They are her ears, her choice. Really though, I think it's her little way of needing to have the control, and avoid all the hype and hysteria in the pre-piercing days. I may have mentioned this before, but Maya is not a fan of being the center of attention. She prefers to quietly go about her business, unnoticed if possible. So at her request, she and I quietly slipped away one Sunday morning to do the deed. Not a flinch or a whimper from this kid! 

Young Readers preschool was overtaken one June morning by superheros. Although the majority of our dress-up collection is made up of tulle & glitter, thankfully Nolan has his own little stash. 
On the last day of preschool, we have made it our tradition to have all of the preschool students and their families over for a barbecue. We initially started doing this when Macy was in preschool because we were new on the "parenting" scene, and having never taken the daycare route we didn't have much of a circle of friends with kids our ages. It was such a success we've done it every year since. What I love the most about it is that it is an opportunity for the PARENTS to see the connections the kids have made. We had a fantastic turnout, smores by the fire and some good laughs.
On the evening of her last day of school, Macy performed in the Ninth State Dance Showcase. Her class tapped to "Little Bitty Pretty One" she fit the part perfectly. There was a little bit of "Hoe Down Throw Down" during the final curtain...she loved getting to be a little bit sassy with the big girls.
Since we still had 24 hours before leaving for Florida...the next day we attended the first annual gymnastics show. This was the first year the girls had taken gymnastics, and they loved it! I have to say (and I was approached by others that felt the same), that Maya stole the show. She has a drive and determination that really showed this day. She's a smallish six-year old, so I think it was a huge surprise to everyone when she did her bar routine unassisted (unlike just about every other kid). The crowd literally gasped, then cheered for her. Now Macy is equally as good, but I think the crowd was just enamored with Maya because she didn't crack a smile, didn't scan the crowd, didn't wave to the adoring fans...she just did her job, period. Macy on the other hand gets up there, does her thing and would be more than happy to sign autographs upon completion. Some kids crave the spotlight, some done. I've got one of each.
I actually had to have Maya re-create this pose. As the finale, each of the gymnasts got up on the podium to receive their medal and allow for pictures. Maya jumped down so quickly I didn't get the shot!
In the midst of all our our commitments this month, we managed to skip off to Franconia Notch for an afternoon. They have the most AMAZING bike paths, and there wasn't another soul around. It was a perfect day for taking advantage of the incredible outdoor activities we have right here in NH!

I just love this photo, occupational hazard I guess! I can find beauty in a concrete and steel structure, plunked in the middle beautiful country.
Nolan thought this was the coolest thing ever! So that's the not-so-quick update - I'll be back to give a report on my fantastic trip to Disney!

No comments:
Post a Comment