Friday, May 1, 2009

When I was a kid

Okay, not a "kid" as you would think...but a college kid.

It wasn't that long ago that I was the carefree, laid back, college party girl...okay truth be told I never was that college girl. I got all that over with in high school and straightened my self out pretty quickly in college, but that is not really relative to my point.

My point is, I feel a little old today. You see, we live in a college town. It's a small town, small college...but I think most anywhere the culture is probably the same. Spring has arrived, so you can no longer drive down the street in the middle of a sunny day without dodging the boys playing baseball in the streets, and the lawns littered with girls sunbathing.

On this campus, Spring is such a milestone they have actually dedicated a weekend to it called "Spring Fling". This is what got me feeling old today...historically this has always been a celebration of spring and the impending graduations and summer breaks; it's the opportunity to drink beer, wear bathing suits, play loud music and apparently surf the internet.

Surf the internet, really.

On the way home from the park today I had my kids buckled securely in their giraffe-print boosters, the windows down and Hanna Montana spinning in the CD player. I drove slower than usual because of the earlier referenced baseball games in progress. As I gawked at the porches littered with kids having fun, what I noticed littering the railings and tables more prominent than the expected beer cans were laptops.

We didn't have laptops...heck we didn't have desktops, cripes we didn't even have the internet when I was in college *gasp*.

I've become one of those adults that has "when I was your age" stories that today's kids can't even fathom.

I feel old.

For the record, technology is amazing fast...I didn't go to college that long ago.

No comments: