Saturday, March 27, 2010

Vacation II - a Challenge

The September vacation was originally planned so that I could reunite with my Moms Panel friends and jump in with both feet into the world of athleticism, ha! The Moms and I had a decided earlier in the year to take part in the Expedition Everest 5K Challenge. Seriously? Moms + Running = Fun?

I hate running.

Bad word, I know - my kids will call me on it when they see it...but it truly describes how I feel about running.

Why would I "want" to run unless someone was chasing me? It is awkward, painful and something that I have never enjoyed. So why? Peer pressure, I suppose...but I guess there are worse things I could be pressured into doing.

I made the commitment - and since it was my 10th wedding anniversary this weekend...my husband made the commitment to run it with me. Not the way I had envisioned our 10th wedding anniversary celebration...but it worked for us.

He and the girls flew down mid week to join up with Nolan and I. As great as it was to have the solo time with Nolan, it always feels better to have all my birds in one nest.
Now because I am not a runner, my only objective was to finish. It was 3.1 miles that in my mind was comparable to running a marathon. I seriously doubted that I could do it.

But I did.

Certainly not record pace, but I finished. I didn't have to stop. I didn't hurt myself. I finished. Mission accomplished. I freely admit that it felt good. Not at the time mind you, but as my aching legs reminded me the next day of my accomplishment - and I felt good. Little did I know this might turn in to something bigger...or that I was weaker than I thought when it comes to peer pressure. This wouldn't be the end of my running career...

I owe a big thank you to my "Moms", without the support and encouragement of this group I would never have imagined "wanting" to do something like this. These are the ladies (and dad) that I would stand in a blistering parking lot with for the hours leading up to our first 5K together...and love it.

No comments: