Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Don't dwell on it

Much easier said than done when it comes to "almost" making it on to the inaugural 2008 Walt Disney World Moms panel. I figure since I'm trying to keep everyone in the loop (I'm actually surprised and thankful for all of the curious minds and all of you that are interested in this adventure of mine), I should quickly go back to the beginning of my quest to get the golden ticket to Orlando...but I'm not going to dwell on it, that was so 2007.

So yes, this actually started for me in 2007. Kim (my sister) gave me the heads up about Disney looking for a few good moms. Of course I applied. I think I've said before, that if there is any way to connect myself to this company...without having to leave my corner of the world and I'm all over it!

Step 1 - Compose and submit three essays, 100 words each.
A. Tell us about yourself
B. Tell us about your family
C. Tell me why you should be on the panel
Due Date: 10,000 applicants - glad I made it in I think it was only open a few days.

Wait

and

wait

and

wait

and on October 17, 2007 I get the email I had been hoping for
On behalf of Walt Disney World® Resort, we would like to congratulate you on making it to the next phase of the selection process for the first ever Walt Disney World® Moms Panel!

Step 2 - Compose and submit three more essays, 100 words each.
A. Please give us your best theme park and/or resort tip for a family planning a vacation at Walt Disney World® Resort.
B. Please tell us your best memory of your most recent Walt Disney World vacation.
C. Please tell us what part of Walt Disney World® Resort you would most recommend a family visit and why.

Now although I am not certain, I heard a rumor that from the initial 10,000 applicants there were approximately 125 round two candidates.
Due Date: October 27, 2007


Wait

and

wait

and

wait on pins & needles.

And then the heat skips a beat when you see the email subject: NEWS FROM THE WALT DISNEY WORLD MOMS PANEL
On behalf of Walt Disney World® Resort, we would like to congratulate you on making it to the final phase of the selection process for the first ever Walt Disney World Moms Panel!

As you know, we received thousands of applications, and you are among the top twenty-six candidates whose knowledge of – and passion for – Walt Disney World continues to make an indelible impression on the judging panel.

Now - there is more to the process, and it really is overwhelming and exciting ...but like I said, I'm not dwelling on this one. So I'm giving the short version here.

Phase 3 - A phone interview.
YIKES.

They had a woman from the public relations firm contact me and scheduled my interview for Monday, October 29 at 4:20 p.m.
Now this will be real brief, because...well honestly, I knew right after it was over that I wasn't on the panel. I had regrets and better answers moments after hanging up the phone, but what was done was done...I'm not going to dwell on it.

They had let us know that we would hear on or about November 7, 2007. Guess where I would be on that day...Walt Disney World!

So as my husband, kids and I enjoyed some ice cream on the afternoon of November 7, my cell phone rang. I knew immediately by the tone of the womans voice, and I almost felt bad for her. She really, truly sounded bummed out for me. I was extremely thankful that I was at the Happiest Place on Earth, with my favorite people on earth because it left me little time to dwell.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I feel last year's pain too as I was right there with you in the same boat. Some things are worth waiting for.

Karen said...

You got that right Margaret! See you soon :)