Since the one of the main reasons I started this blog was to document my experience as a 2009 Walt Disney World Moms panelist, I thought now would be a good time to take a quick trip back and remind myself just how my love of Disney came to be.
Back more than a decade ago I was lucky enough to land myself a spot in the Walt Disney World College Program. Today I wanted to find my official photo (since I'm a bit obsessed with having to do a photo/video shoot for the Moms Panel), so I climbed into my crawlspace and pulled out my box of goodies labeled "WDWCP", and a wave of great memories washed over me.
I kept just about everything, all the paperwork, documents, name tags, any little memento from those four months. I found all my cheat sheets for the Disney lingo, time clock, and 7 guidelines for guest service; I was such a pro at it then. Now I wonder if I should brush up on it for the weekend...nah probably not. No need to look like a show off, especially since I would be sure to get it wrong in all my nervous-not-so-coolness that has come with the 30 something age.


I had traveled to Walt Disney World prior to the college program, I had the wonderful experiences, friendly cast member interactions, amazing technology, awe at the cleanliness and newness of it all each time. These experiences made me love Disney, but the college program fueled a passion for it. I had gained, from the inside out, a respect and admiration for the company, not just the theme park.
So after I finished the program I had learned a few things:
1. I am not as much the people person I thought I was. I enjoy people, but I don't think I was cut out to deal with tens of thousands on a daily basis as a career.
2. I really love the New England climate.
3. I am a germaphob. I never was, until this experience. You're better off not asking.
4. I LOVE Disney. If there was EVER a way I could be a part of this magic, from my own little speck of the world in New England, I would do it.
So that brings me here. Since the college program, I have been on dozens of trips back to the "World" anxious and eager to learn something, see something new. I was surprised at first that things changed, little things here and there. At first glance I wondered "why", but then I was inspired, once again, by a company so rich in history, yet not afraid to change and adapt to the needs of the next generation. Make it better, make it more efficient, make it the best possible experience without sacrificing the creativity that Walt envisioned. Brilliant.
I am grateful, and entirely humbled by the opportunity to serve the Mouse once again.

3 comments:
What a lovely post, I loved hearing about your CP experiences and you are going to make an absolutely fantastic Moms panelist :-)
Wow....what memories. I remember that brochure, too, since I was also on WDWCP Spring 1996! You made me want to go and look for all my mementos. I still have my ID(even though I think I was supposed to turn it back in), my nametag, my Mousters Degree (yep, I missed one seminar), my Mickey ears with tassel, and lots of pictures. Thanks for sharing and taking us all back down memory lane! Good Luck to you all this weekend.
PS I am Tiggsntx on Twitter and DISboards!
I am here and SO excited to read all of your adventures!
Post a Comment